Ephrata man dies following New Year’s eve fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EPHRATA, Pa.--A  man died seven days after being rescued from an apartment fire in Ephrata on New Year's eve.

James T. Ramsay, 59, of Ephrata, passed away Thursday afternoon at Lehigh Valley Hospital, police said. Ramsay sustained burns and smoke inhalation when fire broke out at his apartment along the 600 block of East Main Street.

Firefighters were called to the apartment building around 11:40 p.m. Investigators say Ramsay was unconscious when firefighters pulled him from the building.

The fire was caused by careless smoking and was ruled accidental.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.