Come out to the York JCC on March 21 for the FOX43 Blood Drive!

Dangerous levels of CO in Harrisburg duplex

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARRISBURG, Pa. – A UGI repair crew responded just before 6 pm Thursday to the 1700 block of Green Street after the odor of gas was reported. Once on the scene the crew called the Harrisburg City Fire Department.

Chief Brian Enterline said firefighters employed a monitor that sniffs the air. The device detected levels of Carbon Monoxide over 200 parts per million (ppm) inside a three story duplex. Any amount over 70 ppm poses a health hazardous.

Enterline said they found one man asleep inside one of the homes. He did not require medical attention.

The source of the CO was a furnace pipe that had dislodged from the chimney pumping exhaust directly into the homes. Firefighters ventilated both buildings.

Chief Enterline said that a dangerous situation was avoided.  Neither home in the duplex had CO detectors.

 

 

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.