E-sports boot camp coming to Harrisburg, today on FOX43 News First at Four
Due to World Cup, U.S. Open coverage, changes made to FOX43, Antenna TV broadcasting schedules

Four firefighters injured after house explosion in Littlestown

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LITTLESTOWN, Pa.--Two firefighters are seriously injured in a house explosion in Adams County.

It happened shortly before 11 a.m. along the 300 block of Lexington Way in Littlestown. Four firefighters went into the basement of the home to investigate a report to Columbia Gas that a natural gas odor was detected.

Alpha Fire Department Fire Chief Chris Morgret said, "They wanted to make sure that the furnace and the water heater was secure. As they were doing that, something ignited the gases in the basement."

The ignited gas caused an explosion, but the fire department does not yet know the cause.

"Right now we have two guys that got flown to Bayview Hospital in Baltimore to the burn center. They are stable they have burns to their hands and ear area." Said Morgret.

Firefighters Raymond Boyd and Jay Ingle were flown to Bayview Hospital, while two others were taken to Gettysburg Hospital.

The granddaughter of the homeowner, Alix Clise,  says she was concerned for her grandmother, "We were worried that something had happened to my grandmother and the first instinct was just get up here as soon as we could."

Luckily the homeowner was out of the house during the explosion.

Clise says the inside of the house is unrecognizable, "It doesn't look like the house at all. There's insulation everywhere. Pictures are on the ground. There's glass shattered, furniture torn up."

The house is still standing but there is obvious structural damage. The family is thankful to those firefighters who were injured.

FOX43 News will update this story as more information becomes available.