Mattress fire leaves York City family homeless

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

York City Fire photo

YORK CITY, Pa. – A family of six is temporarily homeless after fire damages their York City row-home.  The fire broke out at about 4:45 pm at the home on the 700 block of Lynch Way.  The first firefighters  on the scene reported smoke showing from the 2nd floor.

The family, 2 adults and 4 children and three cats were at home when the fire started and safely got out of the house. Fire Chief David Michaels says the fire started in a mattress in the second floor front bedroom. The fire was quickly brought under control. Firefighters set up fans to ventilate the smoke. Chief Michaels said that the fire was caused by a space heater that was too close.

Most of the damage was confined to the second floor. The rest of the home had smoke and water damage estimated at about $2,000.