Source: Prince had opioid medication on him at time of death
Authorities who are investigating the death of music legend Prince found prescription opioid medication on his person and in his Minnesota home, a law enforcement official told CNN on Wednesday.
The pills are commonly used to treat pain, and investigators have brought in the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to help with the case, the source said.
Investigators believe a health scare about a week before Prince’s death, which caused an unscheduled landing of his plane in Illinois, was likely the result of a reaction to the pain medication, the official said.
The pilot told air traffic control that a passenger, later known to be Prince, was unresponsive.
Prince was treated for a potential overdose of pain medication, the official said.
Investigators are still awaiting results of autopsy and toxicology tests for further understanding of why Prince died.
Prince was 57 when he died last week at his home in a Minneapolis suburb.