Family of Cumberland Co. murder victim warned her about husband – Tonight after MLB All-Star Game

Family believes light-up toddler shoes caused fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KATY, TX — A family in Texas is blaming their son’s light-up shoes for sparking a fire in their SUV.

Attila Virag told KPRC that there was nothing in the car that could have caused the fire, and the shoe was lying on the ground with the wires sticking up.

The fire marshall has not yet determined the origin of the fire, but the Virag family believes a lithium ion battery in the shoe could be to blame.

The boy’s mother is just concerned what would have happened if her 2-year-old was wearing the shoes.

The family says the bought the “Jake and the Neverland Pirates” shoes at Payless.

A spokesperson from Payless said:

“We have contacted the family, and we will work with them and local authorities to better understand the circumstances of the fire and what may have caused it.”

The Payless spokesperson said she wasn’t aware of any other reports of the light-up shoes catching fire.

She also said safety is a top priority for the company, and out of an abundance of caution they have removed the shoes from store shelves.