YORK, Pa.-- Memorial Day means hot dogs and burgers on the grill and a celebration of our country.
However, there are healthy alternatives to the classic Memorial Day favorites.
Allison McQuaid, of Medifast Weight Control Center, is coming to the kitchen to offer up these healthy meal options.
A recipe for an option is below:
Lemon Scallion Chicken & Vegetable Kabobs
24 oz raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cups (2 small) summer squash*
2 cups (18 medium) mushrooms, quartered
1-1/2 cups (1 small-medium) zucchini*
1 cup (8 medium) cherry tomatoes
*Half lengthwise, then cut into 1″ chunks
Lemon scallion sauce:
3/4 cup (4-6) scallions, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt or salt substitute
6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp hot red pepper sauce
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
· Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
· Then in a small bowl, combine the scallion sauce and set aside.
· Thread the kabobs with chicken, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
· Brush the kabobs with the scallion sauce.
· Then you’ll grill them for about 10 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
· Prep time: 15-20 minutes + 30 minutes soak time for wooden skewers
· Cook time: 10-15 minutes
· Yields: 3 servings
· Calories 380
· Total Fat 11g
· Saturated Fat 2.5g
· Cholesterol 145mg
· Sodium 520mg
· Total Carbs 13g
· Fiber 4g
· Protein 56g