Giant/Martin’s voluntary recall Sunflower seed items
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, Pa. Following a recall by SunOpta, GIANT Food Stores, LLC and MARTIN’S Food Markets announced it removed from sale Alpine Sunflower Kernel Tubs, Alpine Valley Yogurt Fruit/Nut Mix and Roasted Sunflower Kernels due to the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Alpine Roasted & Salted Sunflower Kernel Tubs, 10.25 oz., UPC 2363741090 with a best by date of 03-24-17
- Alpine Roasted & Unsalted Sunflower Kernel Tubs, 10.25 oz., UPC 2363741091 with best by dates of 3-23-17, 3-30-17 or 5-3-17
- Alpine Valley Yogurt Fruit/Nut Mix purchased in the bulk bin section
- Roasted & Salted Sunflower Kernels purchased in the bulk bin section
- Roasted No Salt Sunflower Kernels purchased in the bulk bin section
GIANT/MARTIN’S has received no reports of illnesses to date. Listeria is a common organism found in nature. Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis. However, listeriosis can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea. Listeriosis can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those with weakened immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to GIANT/MARTIN’S for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call SunOpta at 888-886-4428. In addition customers may call GIANT/MARTIN’S Customer Service at 1-888-814-4268 for more information. Customers can also visit the GIANT or MARTIN’S websites.