Family of Cumberland Co. murder victim warned her about husband – Tonight after MLB All-Star Game

Harrisburg fire caused by faulty heating lamp in marijuana grow room

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARRISBURG, Pa. – An electrical problem from a marijuana growing operation was the cause of an early morning fire in Harrisburg.  Firefighters responded to 1915 State Street at 8:41 a.m. Wednesday morning for a report of a building on fire.

The first firefighters to arrive on the scene found a large single family dwelling with thick smoke pushing from the roof and eaves.  The fire spread rapidly extending into the walls as well as the attic area. Firefighters efforts hampered by the discovery of a network of extension cords and other accumulated items in what turned out to be a marijuana growing operation. Additional firefighters were summoned to the scene.

Investigation into the fire revealed that an electrical malfunction in a second floor grow room sparked the blaze. The fire rapidly spread due to the walls being covered with plastic and other materials that aided in the marijuana operation.

One firefighter was taken to the hospital for evaluation and was later released. Damage to the building is estimated to be in excess of $25,000.

Harrisburg Fire crews remained on scene to extinguish numerous hot spots so that Harrisburg Police could conduct their investigation.

Anyone with information regarding the fire is encouraged to contact Harrisburg Police at (717) 255-3181.