Teen pulled from burning house in Harrisburg dies
HARRISBURG, Pa. — The Harrisburg Bureau of Fire reports that a victim from the fire on Barley Lane that occurred on November 9, 2016 has died. Shanice Johnson, 15, died on Sunday, November 13, 2016 as a result of the injuries she received during the fire. This is the first fire death in the City of Harrisburg since the tragic fire at 625 Forrest Street on October 18, 2010 that claimed five lives.
Shanice Johnson was one of two victims who were rescued by Harrisburg Bureau of Fire personnel and transported to Harrisburg Hospital by Life Team EMS in cardiac arrest. Three others were injured in this fast moving fire and were treated and released from the hospital.
The Harrisburg Bureau of Fire would like to remind residents of the Harrisburg region of some pertinent fire safety tips:
– Ensure your family is protected with working smoke alarms. Adults and children should immediately evacuate the home once a smoke alarm sounds.
– Evacuate your home immediately upon the report of any fire no matter the size
– When exiting rooms and your home while fleeing from a fire close all doors behind you. More information is available at: ULfirefightersafety.com
– Never attempt to fight a fire yourself. Prepare and practice a fire escape plan and call 911 from a safe location. Fire spreads quickly and you may have less than three minutes to get to safety. Fire spreads quickly and you may have less than three minutes to get to safety. Once you are out of the house, close the door and do not go back inside.
– Never use extension cords or multi-plug cords (zip strips) to run large appliances such as heaters, air conditioners, refrigerators, ect.