Several pets perish in fire at York County home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

YORK COUNTY, Pa. – Firefighters reported heavy smoke and flames from the rear corner of a bi-level home at 211 Perry Avenue in Jackson Township. The fire  broke out just before 3:00 p.m.

According to firefighters the fire started in a jacuzzi on a small deck behind the home.  It was caused by an electrical problem. A neighbor, noticed the fire and called 911.  The neighbor’s son alerted the family, who all got out safely.

The neighbor, Matt Towzey also helped battle the fire with water from a garden hose until the first firefighters arrived.   The family also  had ten pets, and were able to save all of them except for a lizard, a parakeet and a turtle.

The fire was under control





Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.