Discarded cigarette caused Saturday’s fire on East Maple Street in York

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

YORK, Pa.–Investigators say a discarded cigarette sparked Saturday’s fire along the 300-block of East Maple Street in York.

The fire broke out shortly before 3:15 p.m. and caused approximately $140,000 in damage to three homes at 314, 316 and 318 East Maple Street.

Authorities say the fire originated outside the rear of 316 East Maple Street.

Two dogs were rescued from one of the homes, but a litter of six puppies died in the fire, according to fire investigators.  One firefighter suffered a knee injury while on scene and was treated by White Rose Ambulance.

The American Red Cross is assisting four adults and four children who were displaced.

The fire was ruled accidental, authorities said.