Shippensburg man arrested following hour-long standoff with police in Cumberland County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CUMBERLAND COUNTY, Pa.–  A Shippensburg man is facing charges after barricading himself during a standoff with police on Monday.

Robert Watson, 28, is charged with five counts of Aggravated Assault, one count of Criminal Trespassing, five counts of Terroristic Threats, five counts of Simple Assault, and one count of Criminal Mischief for the Monday incident.

Watson was already facing several charges stemming from a police search of his apartment on the 200 block of East King Street on July 14. In that incident, police say, they executed a search warrant and discovered approximately two pounds of marijuana, $2,070 in cash, a digital scale, packaging materials, and what police suspected to be materials for the growth and manufacture of psilocybin mushrooms. Police also discovered a dead rat with maggots on it behind the couch and spoiled food in the refrigerator. Watson’s 5-year-old daughter was living in the home at the time, according to a police affidavit.

Watson was charged with multiple counts of possession with intent to manufacture or deliver a controlled substance and endangering the welfare of children.

On Monday, police say, Watson was declared missing and endangered. In an affidavit to obtain a warrant, it was stated that “Watson made comments saying goodbye and he was not going back to jail.” Watson also allegedly stated he had a gun.

Members of the Shippensburg Borough Police Department and the Pennsylvania State Police Carlisle station teamed up to serve the warrant in the 1200 block of Baltimore Road, where Watson was staying, at around 3:50 p.m.

Upon arrival at the abandoned residence, Watson allegedly threatened to kill four police officers and a police K9 that were first to arrive at the residence. He pointed what police believed to be a semi-automatic handgun at them several times during the incident and made multiple threats. Watson barricaded himself inside the residence and repeatedly told police they were going to have a shootout.

Eventually, Watson allegedly pointed a gun at a Shippensburg police officer, police said. The officer then fired, but missed Watson.

Negotiations between law enforcement and Watson ensued, before he surrendered by 4:53 p.m.

No one was injured during the incident.