Rep. Blake Farenthold won’t seek re-election

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Rep. Blake Farenthold, who’s under fire for accusations of sexual harassment, is not planning to run for re-election, a Republican source familiar with situation told CNN on Thursday.

House Speaker Paul Ryan spoke with Farenthold, a Texas Republican, twice late Wednesday, a House Republican source said. Rep. Steve Stivers, who chairs the House campaign arm, also met with Farenthold.

The news that Farenthold won’t seek re-election follows a CNN report Wednesday that a former senior aide to the congressman has approached the House Ethics Committee to share a damning account of working for Farenthold, with the intent of describing the congressman as verbally abusive and sexually demeaning — and his congressional office as an intensely hostile environment that drove the aide to physical and emotional distress.

The Ethics Committee was already investigating Farenthold for investigating sexual harassment allegations made by Farenthold’s former aide, Lauren Greene. The congressman has previously denied any wrongdoing in the Greene case and on Wednesday denied some of the accusations the former aide told CNN though Farenthold also said some of the language he used was not appropriate.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.