No adult home at time of Harrisburg fire that killed 3-year-old, injured two firefighters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARRISBURG — An accidental fire that claimed the life of a 3-year-old girl and injured two firefighters Monday morning started in the first-floor kitchen of the home while no adult was home.

According to Captain Gabriel Olivera, the fire started accidentally by unattended cooking in the first floor kitchen.

The mother of the 3-year-old who perished thought that a family member was home and left to take an older child to her.

Unbeknownst to her, that family member had gone to work early that day, leaving no one home other than the toddler at the time of the fire.

Olivera says that police are currently discussing if any charges will be filed with the District Attorney’s office.

The toddler, Willow Williams, died due to smoke inhalation in a second-floor bedroom of the residence, the Dauphin County Coroner’s Office determined. A GoFundMe page that benefits the family of Willow can be found here.

The two injured firefighters have been identified as Lieutenant Jeremy Saul and Nathan Martin.

Saul was treated at UPMC Pinnacle and was released from the hospital Monday. He will require additional treatment for multiple burns that he received while searching for the victim, the release states. Martin suffered a laceration from broken glass while entering the structure to also search for Willow, the release adds. He was treated at UPMC Pinnacle and was released Monday, as well.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.