Update on road closures in Derry and South Hanover Townships in Dauphin County
DERRY TOWNSHIP — All of the bridges over Swatara Creek in Derry Township were closed due to flood conditions for at part of the day on Wednesday, and many still remain closed, according to Derry Township Police.
But some roads around the area that had been closed are now open again, police say.
The roads still closed include:
- North Hanover Street/Grandview Road between Hummelstown borough and South Hanover Twp. at the Swatara creek.
- Route 39 at the bridge traversing Swatara Creek. PennDOT reports the closure will likely remain in effect until Thursday
- Route 743 at the bridge over Swatara Creek. PennDOT reports the closure will likely be in effect until Thursday
- Sandbeach Road at the East Hanover/Derry Township line. The guiderail was uprooted and pavement has been washed away. This will be a long-term closure pending repair, police say.
- Hanover Street Bridge at the South Hanover Township/Derry Township line
- Fiddler’s Elbow Road at Swatara Creek
- Swatara Creek Rad at Middletown Road to the Lower Swatara Township line
- North Hockersville Road between Old West Chocolate Avenue and Hersheypark
- Boathouse Park
- East Governor Road (Route 322) at County Line Road, near the Milton Hershey School has standing water during periods of heavy rain
The following roads are now open, according to Derry Township Police:
- Park Avenue (Route 743) near ZooAmerica
- Mansion Road between Chocolate Avenue and East Derry Road
- The 2100 block of Church Road
In South Hanover Township, the following roads were closed as of this afternoon:
- Stone Mill Road (from South Hoernerstown Road to Overview)
- South Hanover Street
- S. Hoernerstown Road (from Union Deposit to Grandview)
- West Canal Street (from W. Main St. to S. Hanover St.)
- Shetland Road (from East Earl Ave. to E. Canal St.)
- Sandbeach Road (from Boathouse to Canal)
- East Canal St. (from Shetland to Route 39)
- Route 39 Bridge
- Duke Street Bridge
- Pleasantview Bridge
- Hanover Street Bridge (in Union Deposit)
- Hanover Street Bridge (Grandview Road, going into Hummelstown)
- Sandbeach Bridge