‘Ask Evan’: “Will the new ‘Real I-D’ allow you to cross into Canada?”

This week's 'Ask Evan' question comes from Gerald and Dee K.  They ask, "Will the new real id drivers license allow travel across the Canadian border?  Pennsylvania's current drivers license will not!

The short answer is-- no.  PennDOT says 'Real ID' will not be all you need to travel across the Canadian border.  You will still need to have a passport to do so. 'Real ID'
will allow you access to federal facilities and will be an acceptable form of identification to fly commercially.  However, a passport will also allow for the very same access to federal facilities and commercial flights -- and travel out of the country.

So, if you plan to travel to Canada or elsewhere out of the country you'll need a passport, and don't necessarily need a 'Real ID'.  If you are only concerned about federal facility access and domestic flight, the 'Real ID' may be a preferred option.

Real ID' will be rolled out to Pennsylvanians starting next year and will be optional.

If you have a question you'd like to ask, send me an email at AskEvan@FOX43.com.  Put 'Ask Evan' in the subject line or reach out to me on Facebook- Evan Forrester FOX43.  Whatever the topic I'll do my best to track down answers you are looking for.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.