Harrisburg’s Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show bans tactical weapons

The annual Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg is banning assault weapons this year.

Reed Exhibitions puts on the annual event and made the decision not to include tactical rifles less than a month before the show, much to the chagrin of those who plan to attend.

“I think a man ought to be able to have what he wants. If he want an assault rifle for some reason, to hunt with or just target shoot or whatever, I think he should have it without a whole lot of hassle,” said Dennis Hackler, a gun owner.

Hackler said heading to the show every year is a tradition, but the ban may change that.

“I think it’s going to hurt the show, actually. I’ve owned guns all my life since I’ve been 12 years old and I’ve really enjoyed myself. And I’m sure there’s millions of hunters that would feel the same way,” he said.

Others feel it’s all part of a bigger issue facing the country.

“By the Second Amendment, the guns are there for one thing: a tyrannical government. It’s the people, not the guns,” said gun owner Tim Wade.

Reed Exhibitions posted a statement on their website regarding the decision that reads in part: “We strongly support the Second Amendment. However, this year we have made the decision not to include certain products that in the current climate may attract negative attention…and possibly disrupt the broader positive experience of our guests.”

The show will be February 2-10 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

23 Comments to “Harrisburg’s Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show bans tactical weapons”

anonymous said:
    January 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Can you say hypocrites?
    The Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT Show) and Conference is the largest and most comprehensive trade show for all professionals involved with the shooting sports, hunting and law enforcement industries. It is the world's premier exposition of combined firearms, ammunition, law enforcement, cutlery, outdoor apparel, optics and related products and services. The SHOT Show attracts buyers from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. The SHOT Show is owned and sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and is produced and managed by Reed Exhibitions

RugerNiner said:
    January 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government……..Thomas Jefferson

anonymous said:
      January 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Amen, and that time appears to be nearing

mec said:
      January 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

It is not necessary to use a made up quote to clarify Jefferson's position on an armed and free citizenry- yet this thing appears mutlitple times daily. Even the democrat pary enemy knows it is fake. Better to use someting he really did say There's the Tree of Liberty quote and this:
      "And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

anonymous said:
    January 16, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I didn't see Senator Harry Reed complain about the shot show out in his area Las Vegas, so why should little ol Harrisburg be bullied into sensitivity.

Jones said:
    January 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Cabela's is no longer going to sponsor the event because of this. They took a stand, will you?

Chris said:
    January 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I've been going to this show every year since 1989. I refuse to patronize them due to their spineless capitulation. They've lost me.

Ken said:
    January 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Wont ever go again. You are making a huge mistake. You are bowing to the Obama administration and I will never support this show again.

Greg said:
    January 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Never again

Linda said:
    January 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I hope when they open there is no one there. Maybe it would send them a message. Tired of everybody bowing down to obama. The second amendment is being infringed upon.

Steve said:
    January 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I will not be attending this event any longer. Also, just an FYI to reed expositions I'll also be contacting the companies with whom I do business annually at the event to let them know…no longer! I encourage everyone to do the same. Wrong time Wrong place wrong political statement…& they "support the 2nd amendment"…ludicrous.

Mike said:
    January 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The organizers must have the backbone of a worm. I will be sure to let all of my hunting club members (118) and other like minded friends know to boycott a show we have all enjoyed.

Leo Lunney said:
    January 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Was planning an archery trip for next season and was heading to the show to meet potential outfitters. Guess we'll have to depend on the Internet.. Too bad. Enjoyed the show since 1990.

mickey mantle said:
    January 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Of course they’ll ban it, cause it shows people just how much fun shooting guns in a safe, controlled environment can be.

R J said:
    January 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

We attended every year since the 80's & booked hunting & fishing trips and supported the vendors there. Enjoyed the show because we often found different or unique equipment we could see & handle before buying. We will NOT ATTEND again. Lucky for us Pittsburgh & Cleveland have good shows run by different companys.

American Gun Owner said:
    January 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Same here, agree with all.. We have attended the show every year for countless years..not this year. Even at my place of employment, everyone was saying that they are not going. This will crush the attendance at the show… I hope Reed doesn't recover from this and another company takes it over. A new company that will stand up for responsible gun owners in America instead of cowering away like infidels.

Bob said:
    January 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

agree! Let's all get the word out as far and wide as we can!

An American said:
    January 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Going to the NRA event in Frederick, not a big one but Reed will not see any of my money

curtis said:
    January 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM

is there any way i can get my money back on tickets??

pete rose said:
    February 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM

THere is an advantage and disadvantage of this issue. However if it is the policy we can’t do about it.

Al Baydough said:
    February 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Is it true that this was to be the first year in the show's history that a tactical category was originally offerred but pulled in light of the recent shootings?

RugerNiner said:
    January 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Fixed it…………..The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government……..Ronald J. Hollowell