Bringing Cpl. Matthew Hanes home

People in York County are coming together to bring home Army Cpl. Matthew Hanes.  On June 23, the 21-year-old soldier was severely wounded when he was shot while serving in Afghanistan. “He was shot in the neck, it came out his right shoulder, which shattered his vertebrae one and two and his spinal cord. So he is paralyzed from the chest down. He has no movement in his fingers,” says Matthew’s mother Chris Hanes. She is currently helping with his care at the VA hospital in Tampa, which has a special unit for spinal injuries.

His family, friends and the community are working hard to make his parents’ home handicap accessible. “When I talked to Matthew he wanted to come home so I knew I had to make it a handicap accessible facility for him,” says Matthew’s father Lee Hanes.

Matthew’s uncle, Jim Staley, owner of Jim Staley Building and Remodeling is helping with the project,”The original garage is being turned into an efficiency apartment for him which will be all wheelchair accessible and the bathroom will be wheelchair accessible. The new garage just put on is just set up for his handicap van. There will be an elevator going to the basement where the Army has donated some exercise equipment. There will be a sling system above his bed to get him in and out of bed.”

You can make a donation for CPL Matthew Hanes at any M&T Bank branch or make a check payable to “NESD Heartwarming Fund”- NESD, 41 Harding St., Manchester, PA , 17345. Donations can also go to the Northeastern Helping Hand Fund through Northeastern School District.

7 Comments to “Bringing Cpl. Matthew Hanes home”

tracey said:
    January 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My prayer and thanks go out to this wonderful man and people need to realize what he did for our country and is a proud soldier

Yolonda said:
    January 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM

yay! he is coming home we are glad to hear from you
    ( my daughter is from yorkhaven elem.She was one of the classes that visited the rebuilding of your new home)

Lisa said:
    January 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I'd like to give you a big HUG and Thank You for serving our country! ! You will be in my prayers!

Valentine said:
    January 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Thank you Matt! You gave us ur best and its time we give u ours. god bless you for serving our great nation!

Colt357 said:
    January 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Hang in there Matt you have a lot of people looking out for you.

Pam Gray Nye said:
    January 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

You are a wonderful young man Mathew.I am sorry this happened to you and this definitely brought tears to my eyes.You have so much support from the community, family and friends and it is now time for all of us to step up and do what we can do to help. You and your family are in our hearts and prayers and you Mathew are a hero!! I want to personally thank you from my heart to yours in serving our country and protecting us all and for your bravery and dedication.I commend you for everything you have done for us all and on your COURAGE ,STRENGTH, BRAVERY and the FIGHT of NOT giving up.You truly are a hero our friend….GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND THANK YOU AGAIN..

Tim Anderson Sr. said:
    March 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Glad to here that Matt is coming home on Wed.March 13 th I will be there to welcome you home. ( FIGHT ONE DAY AT A TIME ) and the rest well come easy.