Comcast pulls plug on gun-related ads

Comcast is joining a growing list of companies that have pulled the plug on gun and gun-related advertisements. Comcast acquired NBC Universal this month which prompted the change. Chris Ellis Senior Director of Communications with Comcast Spotlight provided this statement: “Consistent with long-standing NBC policies, Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward.  This policy aligns us with the guidelines in place at many media organizations.”

The decision is getting mixed reaction.

“I think it’s unfortunate, I’m an NRA member and I own guns,” said Stuart Rinehart. “I’m just a strong gun supporter and we have the right to the Second Amendment and it’s our freedom so that’s why it really upsets me about that. I think it’s going to hurt business. It’s going to affect me with Comcast business I’ll probably switch to DirecTV or Dish Network.”

Helena Pannell of York thinks it’s a good idea to ban gun-related ads. “It’s a good thing because I have a brother who died from gun violence. I think it would be way positive for my kids not to see it. A lot of kids that are one and up actually do the hand gestures and want to play so I think it’s a lot better not to show them at all.”

Companies with similar policies in place, like Google, they say they don’t want to promote devices designed to cause serious harm or injury. This includes guns, gun parts, ammunition, knives, throwing stars, and more.

Here are links to companies who already have similar policies in place:

Google
Fox Broadcasting
ESPN
NCAA

19 Comments to “Comcast pulls plug on gun-related ads”

TTT said:
    February 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

What difference does it make when the NEWS talks about it anyway? The entire media in general have not and will not stop talking about this "gun trend".

Rick Darrenkamp said:
    February 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Passing new gun laws will keep guns out of the hands of criminals said no one ever.

lazrus444 said:
    February 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I've been thinking about switching to Direct TV. Comcast just made that decision for me. Thanks Comcast….

an amercian said:
    February 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So they do take ads for achol which kill more than guns.but that is different.

Lost All Hope said:
    February 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Wow unreal, my first question to the big networks and the all you control folks is if you think that pulling gun advertisement ads off the tv is going to help, were are your crys to ban violent tv shows??? I ask you CEO's and power people, when are you going to remove all violent tv shows??? Oooo wait thats based upon reality right?? Oooo wait they are fictitious right?? Theres no effect on anyone right?? I know its the legal gun owners right?? Just like the 18 year in Harrisburg, that was just released from jail on bail 3 days ago and he shoots an kills someone, I am sure he abtained that fire arm legally, I am sure putting enacting tougher laws on law abiding citizens wouldve put a stop to that right?? Hypocrites!!!! I promise not to give comcast any of my business, I am signing up for the NRA and I will be more diligant in where my money goes to and who i vote for>

Lost all hope said:
    February 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Ooooo how ironic, Fox Broadcasting has policies against advertising for guns???? Are you kidding me??? Dont you not have shows on tv advertising violence?? Let me guess you would say, no its not that we are advertising it, its just a tv show, there just tv shows about things that happen in real life, not to some sicko out there or some crazy nut that believes its reality. You want to take off and advertisement that offers the purchase of legal weapons to legal citizens, but you have no issue with airing violent tv shows………yea i see where that makes complete sense, i am glad logged on, time to change channel from fox network (american idol) to anything else.

HowIgnorantRU? said:
    February 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Just suck it up. You patronize plenty of businesses that have policies that are not consistent with your views just as I do. You'll watch the game on Fox or ESPN that is showing on Comcast at the bar. If McDonald's and Burger King come up with some anti-gun policy that is publicly announced, are you going to stop eating there? Probably not. Plenty of Catholics accept abortion as an option and still go to the church.

Sam said:
    February 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I dropped Communist cast last sept. I got tired of my bill going up every 3 months , then you call and bitch, the price goes down , then the same thing a few months later,, 730.00 in my pocket to date, guess what Im puchasing,, Molon Labe…………..

gck said:
    February 21, 2013 at 7:28 AM

it is just wrong for you or anyone else to tell me what I can watch, you have beer ads, condom ads, lawyer ads, let the business pay for the ad, I will turn the station if I don't want to see it.

guest said:
    February 21, 2013 at 7:34 AM

What a relief. I knew I was incapable of making decisions on my own, thank god we have Comcast making those decisions for us.

guest said:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I wish they'd get rid of the catheter ads. Every time they're on, my skin crawls.

guest said:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Does this mean they're not going to show The Walking Dead anymore?

Rodney said:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I'm so sad since I DVR everything I watch (not a comcast customer) a gun add might have actually got my attention as i'm fast forwarding through the commercials. In reality I don't know if I have bought anything in years because of an add I seen on TV. I new comcast was liberal to begin with and my house has never had a cable hook up.

Rodney said:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM

HowIgnorantRU – depending on what their policies are yes I would and do. If you have a sign up on your business that says no guns allowed I won't do business with you. I use BING not the liberal company who has their overseas divisions offshore so they don't have to pay taxes. Funny how the liberals want people to pay more taxes the the companies that support them are the ones finding ways around paying taxes. We have choices here in this country enough that i'll go elsewhere if you adopt a policy I don't like!

guest said:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Good luck going to Comcast's website to use CONTACT US to express your opinion. I just tried and I can say I've only ever seen 1 other web site as unuser friendly.

Jon said:
    February 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I don't want to live on this planet anymore…

guest said:
      February 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Go for it. We'll miss you.

oliver said:
    February 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I spoke to Comcast corporate on the following number and asked them for their email. It also follows.
    215-665-1700 ESL_corp@cable.comcast.com

FRANK GILLETTE said:
    February 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM

ALL COMCAST IS GOOD FOR IS RIPING PEOPLE OFF IF I WAS THE FIREARM CO I WOULD NOT USE COMCAST TO CELL RUBBERS IT DONT MATTER DERECT TV IS SLOWBUT SURE PUTTING COMCAST OUT OF THE TV BUSNESS MAYBE THEY SHOULD START CELLING RUBBERS.