“Amish Mafia Tour” aims to disprove show’s claims

Discovery Channel’s hit “Amish Mafia” bills itself as a reality show, but local historian Brad Igou says it’s anything but real – and he can prove it.

Igou is opening a new attraction called the “Amish Mafia Tour” that will show visitors the shooting locations.

Much of the show was shot on the farm of the Silverstone Inn just off of Route 30, including the barn that housed main character Lebanon Levi’s office.

“The tractor is still here, this is the same desk that was here. The hay bales, pretty much everything else. We want people to see a lot of the locations were completely fabricated by the production company,” Igou said.

Igou said his ultimate goal with the tour is setting the record straight about how the show portrays Amish life.

“The things that are created and stated about Amish life, we want to look at those and say, ‘is there a grain of truth in them?’ We’re trying to have people come away with a much deeper understanding of who the Amish are,” he said.

The Amish Mafia Tour starts in May and runs through October.

14 Comments to ““Amish Mafia Tour” aims to disprove show’s claims”

Jean herr said:
    March 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Living in Lancaster county my whole life, and living among the Amish. Even attending grade school with the Amish. ! Watching this show, only saw a few episodes, some of this is true, while on the other hand, I was surprised to see some situations that I don't think is happening among the Amish . But who knows !

Fart Smeller said:
    March 30, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Who cares! All reality shows are scripted! If not, they would all be boring.

Al P said:
    March 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Shows like that are meant to appeal to people who never saw an Amish person. Hollyweird sells distortion quite successfully.

Debra said:
    March 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Hey I like this show and I don't care if it' real or not!!! It beats watching Honey Boo- Boo, or Those uneducated people that catch raccoons or alligators and catfish with their teeth ( or tooth) and I do not care about Kim Kardashian getting pregnant and REAL FAT ….or The Bachelor and Bacheloretee.. Good God ! I mean ,Please 13 seasons is this really real??? & What about the news??? We know ( or at least Ido) know that they are not telling all the facts let alone the truth . So yeah I like The Amish Mafia, It's different from the usual everyday Crap. When is the next episode? After , isn't That all that on the tv these days? I have to watch WAY TO MUCH Tv, because I Made The adult decision to take of my aging parents at their home instead of putting them in a nursing home. So my TV choices are limited. Amish Mafia Rules! Bring It On.

Debra said:
      March 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

P/S. I. Have Amish Roots,and have heard some stories

Brian said:
        April 26, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I have Irish roots and heard stories of Leprechauns…. Doesn't mean they exist.

duff said:
      April 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

beats watching honey boo-boo? that's like saying getting pee'd on beets getting pooped on. You shouldn't do either cause they both are stupid.

Parent said:
      April 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

My heart goes out to your parents!

cindi said:
    April 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

okay i'm confused this all is in the name of God?! so far everything I've seen is NOT in the bible or 10 commandments and I thought they're not allowed to have t.v.s but they can be on a t.v. show!!!somebody please explain..

Patricia said:
    April 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I don't care if it is true or not it is very interesting I haven't seen it on for a while when is it coming back on

Bonnie said:
    April 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I love Lebanon Levi and the whole crew – I enjoy watching this show and am looking forward to more episodes.

kathy said:
    April 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

love it, dont care if it real or not. i watch tv for entertainment. this show is good for entertainment. what difference does it make. if they have the ratings let them alone.

Brian said:
    April 26, 2013 at 4:35 AM

When I first watched Trailer Park Boys I wasn't sure wth I was seeing, but I knew it was not real. It's style is very much like the Amish Mafia, some actors, some with no acting experience portraying a role that was in many cases without written scripts, just an idea of what was required for the scene to make it seem more realistic. The difference with this show is even though the disclaimers claim there are re-enactments and based on eye witness (real reliable) accounts, and legend there is also an implication this is reality, and those involved lie through their teeth about it being reality. The Producers know that it will never be disputed, and those involved may actually have Amish roots, and all it proves is even the Amish have kids that are as shallow as those that brought Jersey Shores train wreck of a cast into our world. Is it funny and somewhat entertaining, yeah it is. Do I believe for one second this is based in reality or fact, not for a second. All cultures have myth, legend and stories, it doesn't make them true, but if one person states it is then a producer can take it and sell it as based on truth.

Patricia dunlap said:
    September 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

In response to this article….It very plainly says in the opening credits that some events are "re-enacted" in order to protect the identity of the Amish people involved. Of course they have to have a filming site for all that! Doesn't mean it's not real or the truth.