People gathered at the eternal light peace memorial in Gettysburg today. Visitors commemorated the 1938 dedication of the peace memorial and the 150 anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg. The groups Sons of the Union Veterans and the Sons of the Confederate Veterans laid wreaths to recognize the reunion and honor fallen.
The memorial was originally dedicated by President Franklin Roosevelt on July 3, 1938, on the 75th anniversary of the battle. Located on Oak Hill overlooking the Gettysburg National Military Park the peace memorial cost about $50,000 dollars and is funded by Pennsylvania along with other states. It is a monument that is worth seeing and experiencing the oath that some soldiers took, that oath pledging “peace eternal in a nation united.” A pledge that is much worthy of remembrance.